November 6, 2012

Windows 8 - a great operating system for laptops and PCs, too

I downloaded and installed Windows 8 on my laptop this past Saturday, and I just wanted to provide some personal feedback regarding the operating system.  I know it is election night, but I think you are all more than satisfied by the amount of content out there regarding election results.

First of all, my laptop is an HP dv7 laptop with a quad-core processor and 6GB of memory - running Windows 7. This might have had some impact on my positive feelings towards Windows 8 Professional (64-bit).  However, as long as you meet the minimum requirements for the operating system, I am sure that it would at least perform decently.  I definitely would recommend having a better computer than the minimum, though.

The install
For me, installing the operating system was a breeze (I wasn't even around for most of the install).  I downloaded the installer online and from there, most of it was done automatically.  The installer for Windows 8 has the ability to keep most of your settings from Windows 7, eliminating my worry about backing up applications and files.

Once installed, Windows 8 requires you to sign in with a Live ID.  This terrified me at first, making me think that I had to create a new Hotmail account.  However, Windows has finally jumped on the bandwagon - allowing users to use whatever their primary email address was as a Windows Live ID.

Post-install
After installing Windows 8, the first thing anyone used to Windows 7 should do is to figure out what the hell all of the applications are.  Most of them are very useful - such as Mail, Calendar, People, and Messaging.  These apps allow you to link email addresses, calendars, and social media profiles to them in order to provide live updates (given that you have an internet connection) from your desktop.  They also have many applications that provide updates about news (from Bing, of course).  I haven't played with many of the media applications, but I know that you can connect your Xbox Live account to the games section, import photos from social media profiles, and listen to audio and video from many sources in one application.

Little quirks that I like
Windows 8 operates much faster on my laptop than Windows 7 did - both the start-up time and completing operations.  This might be due to the fact that all of the programs run as if they were applications on a smartphone or tablet.  No matter what the reason, I'm impressed.

At first, the fact that there wasn't a Start menu worried me.  I was lost about how to navigate.  However, you still have a Desktop app - giving you the ability to open programs you would have normally opened from the desktop (including browsers, Microsoft Office, etc.).  For other applications that you wouldn't typically access, you can still access them from the Start screen.  Rather than having to open something up to search, you can just type anywhere and it will pull up a menu that searches for the applications.

Bouncing back and forth from applications is easy as well - just click on corners of the screen to move from the Start menu to the last window you had open.  Other corners of the screen have different functions - including Settings, Share, and Power options.

My feelings so far
Windows 8 is a great operating system.  Many people have argued that it'd be pointless to have on a laptop or PC, but I think the opposite holds true.  Windows 8 is arguably faster and more efficient than Windows 7 was.  Given the many little quirks and shortcuts, I am sure this operating system will make me use my laptop more efficiently than ever before.

I am still learning about Windows 8, but I think that it might be the operating system that helps refine Microsoft's image in the computer / tablet world.  Is it enough to win against Apple again?  I think it's too soon to tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment